Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My 2012 Reading Goals

    I have spent quite a bit of time over the past few weeks looking back at 2011 and goal setting for 2012. I am not much of a New Years resolution setter because I feel most are never achieved, but I feel God intends for us to always set goals to stay on the correct path he has set before us.(Phillipians 3:13-16)
   As a homeschooling mom; I am constantly looking for ways to encourage my kids to read. I myself am an avid reader and love books (lots of them)! However, to this very day my girls detest reading. I tease my husband that the genetic passed from him because he is not a reader (as in his eyes close before the page turns). My son is just now learning to read and so I pray constantly for him to enjoy books.
   Each day as part of our school assignment I read various stories from history to the kids. On top of that the My Fathers World Curriculum gives a suggested book. Some last days; others go on for weeks. I have enjoyed each book recommended and as the year has gone by the kids have come to love this time as well. We are currently finishing up our reading of  "Farmer Boy" and just started "On the Banks of Plum Creek". Both are Little House Books and the kids anxiously listen to hear the next adventure in Laura's or Almanzo's life. I've read the entire series of Little House Books before and love them more with each reading.
   Outside of the reading I do with my kids I have several books going at one time. Sometimes I read to become a better disciple, wife, or mother. Other times I read for shear enjoyment.
   This year I decided to share my list of books with you. These are the books I am going to strive to read over 2012. I may add a few over the year, but this is a great starting point. I hope you see a few books you recognize, some that you are wanting to read your self, and others you've never heard of before. Please join me in making 2012 the "reading year" for your family!

January
  1.  Honey for a Child's Heart- if you have children ( or are planning to) this should be the first book you read this year
  2. The Love Dare: day by day- this is a 365 day devotional
  3. Financial Peace Revisited- Dave Ramsey
February
  1.  One Thousand Gifts-
  2. Grace for the Good Girl- Letting Go of the Try Hard Life
  3. Grace Based Parenting-
March
  1. Season's of a Mother's Heart-
  2. 168 hours- a book on time management because we all get the same # of hours
  3. What Every Wife Wants Her Husband to Know- don't be fooled by the title of this one
April
  1. Dancing with My Father-How God leads Us into a life of Grace and Joy
  2. A Mother's Heart
May
  1. Disciplines of a Godly Woman-
  2. The Mission of Motherhood-
June
  1. What Women Fear- walking in faith that transforms
  2. David: 90 Days With a Heart Like His- Beth Moore
July
  1. The Ministry of Motherhood-
  2. Ragamuffin Gospel
August
  1. Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be
  2. Finding Your Purpose as a Mom
September
  1. Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger
  2. Creating an Intimate Marriage
October
  1. What Jesus Demands from The World
  2. Living Simply
November
  1.  Total Money Makeover- Dave Ramsey
  2. Large Family Logistics-
December
  1. Calm My Anxious Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment